Thursday, December 30, 2010

Always Get the Chills

3-116 D CO
I don't know what it is but every time I see a group in formation like this I get a chill up my spine...no not a scary one...somewhat in awe. The photo taken at the deployment ceremony took my breath away. And this photo evokes similar emotions. I think about the hours of training, the dedication, the discipline, the honor, and the sacrifice. Who wouldn't be proud? I am one proud military wife.

Yesterday, while at work I received the most beautiful bouquet of roses. While I will keep the sentiments in the card private, I am a very lucky woman. After I read the card my head was spinning (not a new thing I know) - but I was thinking about all the reasons I married my husband. We all know marriage isn't always a walk in the park and sometimes we have to take a moment (or ten) for a mental time out to remember those moments that we cherish. The ones that other people don't see...the little things. My husband and I have a habit of doing the same exact thing at the same exact time and it doesn't matter if he's thousands of miles away it still happens while he's away. As we prepare to close 2010 and enter another decade (great, my kids already think I'm old and remind me that any reference I make to the past is the "olden days" and no matter how hard I try I am "so not cool") - I want to reflect on the great things that happened in 2010....finding a new job after relocating back to Oregon, meeting new military friends, watching my children play sports, recovering from a rather serious health scare, being closer to my husband's family and getting to spend more time with them, seeing my parents in Florida, having my brother out for a week last Summer, having my mom visit and yes, even this deployment.

While I like to consider myself highly independent (maybe not as much as I thought) this deployment has forced me to grow. Don't get me wrong, I don't always like it and still have my moments. But, I am learning to lean on faith and love. And, to lean on other people. For those that don't know me...I can be stubborn and it is not my nature to ask for help. I am not sure why exactly but I tend to feel like I am weak if need to lean on others. I'm starting to learn that it is ridiculous...and maybe it's my ego that needs a little adjusting...a dose of humility.

Thank you to everyone who has supported our family through kind words, thoughts, actions and deeds. We love you and couldn't do it without you. Cheers to having a rock-star year in 2011.

Much love,
Household Six
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment