Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sherry's Journal - December 9, 2010

Today has been one tough day.  I've gone from feelings of frustration, anger, sadness and simply feeling quite alone.  From being disappointed in myself to survival mode.    It's a vicous circle when feelings of frustration start to sneak into our minds because we start to feel guilty from feeling frustrated.  It reminds me of trying to lose weight.  You are so hungry you can't stand it...eat a bunch of crap then feel guilty for eating the crap...you get the picture.   So where the heck am I going with all of this?   Today was one of those days that I really wished my husband was home to support me and hold my hand.  It was one of those days (it happens to all of us) when I needed my husband and I needed him to be HERE.  And, because he wasn't here I was frustrated and a little bit angry.  Thoughts were racing through my head as I was talking to myself saying, "you should be here with me" - "who is going to hold my hand" - "I can't believe you left me for a year."  As those thoughts were swirling around in my head I began to feel guilty because my husband is doing something so selfless and brave.  I'm acting like a baby throwing a temper tantrum.  Grow up, Sherry.  Really, grow up.

I know today isn't going to be the last time I face something on my own and it won't be the last time I struggle with feelings of frustration.  One thing that does not waiver is my love for my husband and my admiration for him and all of the other men and women who are serving our country selflessly.

When I was at the post office the other day mailing a package to my husband, the agent working at the front counter handed me a little poinnsetta and said "thank you for serving."   She made my day.  To all men, women and children who are serving back home - thank you for serving. 

I finally got to see some pictures of my husband and want to share them with you.  It is much harder to feel like we are a part of their lives when our spouses are far away.  It is amazing what a few pictures can do to help us feel connected.







Stay connected with these ideas: 

Send blank greeting cards to your military family member for various occassions such as birthdays, Valentine's day, etc. with a list of important dates, stamps and envelopes.  While my husband was away at training prior to his deployment, I sent him some Halloween cards that he could send back home to our kids.  They loved getting them.

If you have younger children, buy two books (the same title) and ship one to your loved one.  Our youngest son reads to his daddy when he can over the phone or on Skype.  And, because my husband has the same book, he can read to our son too.  I highly recommend Kendra Kandlestar and the Box of Whispers - it's a three-part series.

Hallmark makes the recordable books.  Order one online and send it overseas to your loved one.  Ask them to read and record their voice and sent it back home.

I would love to hear some other ideas!  Please share your ideas on this blog.

Much Love,
Household Six

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry I was not there for you honey, it brought a tear to my eye (maybe more then 1)when I just read your blog. I love you with all my heart Sherry. Thank you for being you. xoxo
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete