Thursday, December 16, 2010

Down for the Count...

Our family has been down for the count the past few days...with a nasty flu bug.   There are times in our lives when we say we will laugh when we look back at something but in the moment, it is next to impossible to find the humor in whatever we are facing.  While this little flu epidemic in our household was not worthy of a "state of emergency" - it sure felt like it.  My teenage son slept for many hours next to the toilet while my teenage daughter failed to make it that far, she thought her bedroom floor was just the perfect spot (skipping the toilet altogether)  Now, anyone with teenagers will understand (and those that don't, you have so much to look forward to) but as both children are crawling on the ground (literally) I am secretly excited that I can jump into "mommy save the day mode" - ice water, ice pack, blankets, pillows...thermometer - oh no fever.... ugh all over the floor - really?  Grab the Little Green Machine (if you don't own one - put it on your Christmas list) - clean up on aisle 1 aka (Tiffany's room)....it is just about at that time when I couldn't figure out if I was starting to feel sick or just having sympathy pains.  Within the hour I had my answer.  "Mommy save the day" turns into "someone save mommy."  We piled into our king size bed and didn't move.  Every few minutes you would hear a little groan....it was miserable.   It was in that moment of misery that I really missed my husband (not that I don't miss him every other moment) but my husband is a great care taker.  If he were here he'd run to the store to get soup, 7-Up, crackers.....you name it.   Fast forward two days....I am sitting in a chair drinking my fresh hot cup of Theraflu getting ready to call my youngest on my cell phone.  The cup of hot tea resting carefully on my lap.  In a slow motion my phone slips out of my hands and into the hot tea - fully immersed.  Really?  Again?  Rewind to September while I was hosting my son's Cross Country team for their "carbo feed" when I dropped my phone in the toilet (not the same phone.)

Needless to say, I've had some free time to think the past couple of days.  One thing that none of the  "preparing for deployment" handbooks offered was the advice we would really need and that's to save money for a personal hairstylist and make-up artist and a really high quality web cam.   It is bad enough that my husband is in the opposite time zone...but add in puffy eyes, no make-up, and a pitiful flu like face along with the distorted appearance and added 10 pounds from the web cam and I'm a real treat to look at.  There should be a few chapters in ALL deployment handbooks that talks about the importance of getting up an hour or two earlier so we have time to get ready and be somewhat nice to look at on the web cam.  Oh, and if you are sick, I'd recommend saying the web cam is broken until further notice or tape a picture of a model over your face until you are feeling better.  I could hardly stand to look at the little picture of myself when I was talking to my husband, I am sure I scared him to death.

I am happy to say we are all on the mend.  However, that did not improve my web cam appearance this evening (my poor husband.)

Much love,
Household Six

No comments:

Post a Comment